You Will Hear Thunder

After having heard Jack Hirschman read his poetry so passionately and with such a thundering force, I am reminded that this is exactly what poetry should do. I was rereading Anna Akhmatova's poems last night which do express this very thought beautifully. So you will hear one of her poems now or, in her own words, you will hear thunder.  


You will hear thunder and remember me,
And think: she wanted storms. The rim
Of the sky will be the colour of hard crimson,
And your heart, as it was then, will be on fire.

That day in Moscow, it will all come true,
when, for the last time, I take my leave,
And hasten to the heights that I have longed for,
Leaving my shadow still to be with you. 




Comments

  1. Furthering my poetry education, Anna Akhmatova's words are brilliant! Another fantastic post, Alessandra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She clearly writes poetry a million times better than I could. Still, I'm far more captivated by the first stanza than the second.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Visceral Anne Sexton

Recalling Pier Paolo Pasolini: A Force of the Past

Wearing Poetry