An Anatomy of Cranach's Melancholy

Why should the Muse ever decide to bother me so early on Sunday morning is a mystery I won't even attempt to solve now. I just hope that my poem may be able to capture the amazing atmosphere of Cranach's wonderful painting. It was a real surprise to discover that Scotland owns a spectacular fuchsia thistle named Melancholy. Its unparalleled beauty is a perfect match to Cranach's work at the National Gallery in Edinburgh. I need to see both live soon, but I am heading back to bed now at 9.45 am Rome's time!


Comments

  1. A wonderful thistle! Yes, muses have a very different conception of time -- or perhaps no conception of time at all, I suppose. But if we want them to continue to be friends, we have to take the time to sit down and have a cuppa whenever they come calling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Muse and I have shared my cup of coffee this morning and she was very kind to me. I love that thistle, Kate. I want to find out the reason why it is named Melancholy, since it is such a beautiful flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be able to help with the thistle, my lovely, although it is just supposition. Unlike other thistels, the Melancholy has no spines, so maybe it's "unfinished" state or its difference is what makes it melancholy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Visceral Anne Sexton

Recalling Pier Paolo Pasolini: A Force of the Past

Wearing Poetry